Mom’s and Dad’s, Grandma’s and Grandpa’s, lots of sweet little kids and people of all ages, are being murdered in our country every day. Yes, it’s happening in our country, our America. Who cares? The Supreme Court doesn’t seem to. The Congress doesn’t. The NRA damn sure doesn’t. I fully understand this is a mental health problem. What irritates me is that we could cut the fatalities and swing the odds to more favorable numbers. It’s not that complicated.
- Ban the sale of assault rifles and similar weapons.
- Background checks for gun buyers 18-25 years of age
- Red flag laws to alert police to people of questionable intent
- Gun safety classes
- No open carry.
- Review qualifications for concealed carry permits.
- Public service announcements regarding respect for others, courtesy, and good manners.
The mass killing problem has many facets. If we are going to win, we must commit to going after them with determination and all the forces we can muster.
If you think number 7 above is too simple or corny, please thing again. In 2016, when the Trump administration came into power, it was like an evil cloud had settled over the whole country. Suddenly, it was okay to be your worst self. Disrespect for others, lust for power, greed, nastiness, and just plain being mean seemed to be okay. Well, it’s not okay. We need to make better individuals of ourselves.